The term “play-to-earn games” gives you a good clue of what these games are. players can really earn money by playing games. Play to earn is a business model that works on blockchain technology. Put simply, players can play a game and potentially earn cryptocurrency.
What exactly is a play-to-earn NFT game? With NFT-driven P2E games — also known simply as “crypto games” — players now have the opportunity to take real ownership of their in-game assets, which P2E game developers mint as NFTs on the blockchain.
There are even digital economies that pay you for playing! Play-to-earn games are defined as crypto games that allow players to enjoy them in terms of gameplay, such as conducting battles, breeding their in-game characters, completing quests, or other tasks.
Benefits both gamers and developers: Play-to-Earn games offer lucrative means to both players and developers alike. While players earn money through in-game assets, developers who design and create these games get more revenue as the P2E ecosystem grows.
Some games you might want to try;
- CryptoKitties: Developed by Canadian studio Dapper Labs, CryptoKitties is an Ethereum-based blockchain game that lets players purchase, collect, breed and sell virtual cats. It is considered one of the first attempts to gamify decentralized finance.
- Axie Infinity: One of the most well-known play-to-earn games on the scene right now, Axie Infinity lets players collect cute creatures known as “axies.” Axies can be bred with other axies, or battled against each other to earn crypto tokens called “smooth love potions,” or SLP for short.
- Decentraland: This is a 3D world in which players can buy up virtual land, build on it, and then rent or sell it to other players in exchange for MANA, a cryptocurrency that runs on the Ethereum blockchain. At peak popularity, parcels were selling for upwards of $100,000.
- DeFi Kingdoms: Set in Gaia, a fictional medieval world, DeFi Kingdoms requires players to farm NFTs and its cryptocurrency Jewel. It is essentially a game, a decentralized exchange and a liquidity pool all at the same time, and is often credited as a driving force behind GameFi’s meteoric rise.
- STEPN: Pitched as a “move-to-earn” app, STEPN essentially wants to pay people to be active. To participate, players must buy a virtual pair of sneakers in the form of a NFT. Then, every time they go on an actual run, jog or walk, the STEPN app tracks how far they’ve traveled and rewards them with tokens, which can be spent in-game on upgrades or cashed out for money.
Again, play-to-earn games are video games where the player can receive rewards with real-world value.
While people have been earning money from playing video games for many years through practices such as “gold farming” and unofficial marketplaces for in-game items, the emergence of blockchain technology and NFTs has, quite literally, changed the game.
NFTs, or non-fungible tokens, are cryptographically unique tokens that can be used to prove ownership of content such as images or music. In blockchain games, they enable users to take ownership of in-game items, such as virtual clothing or plots of land.
Browse our games list or check our games list to learn more about current and upcoming NFT Games, P2E games and their P2E developers